Ethanol is an important vehicle fuel and chemical feedstock. As a vehicle fuel, ethanol consumption in the United States is more than 40 million t/a; in Brazil is about 18 million t/a. In China,the apparent consumption of gasoline in 2017 was approximately 120 million tons. According to China's currently promoted E10 ethanol gasoline (including 10% ethanol), fuel ethanol in China has a huge potential market space.
In Sep 2017, NDRC, NEA, Ministry of Finance and others, in total 15 ministerial authorities jointly published “Implementation Plan for Producing Fuel Grade Bio-Ethanol on Enlarged Capacity and Promoting Use of Ethanol Gasoline as Vehicle Fuel”. By the year 2020, use of ethanol gasoline as vehicle fuel shall be promoted on nationwide basis to realize full coverage.
China's annual production of fuel ethanol is only 2-3Mt of scale. The main production is from grain to ethanol, supplemented by cassava to ethanol, and a small amount of cellulose to ethanol.There are three long-term competitive processes for the production of fuel ethanol: cellulose hydrolysis and fermentation process, biomass syngas fermentation process, and syngas chemical reaction process. Ethanol from coal (syngas) is expected to be the most cost-competitive supplementary source of fuel ethanol.
From coal (syngas) or coke oven gas to ethanol, Celanese, LanzaTech, Inoes, DICP, and Zhongrong etc. have got breakthrough or commercialization. In Jan 2017, Yanchang Petroleum Group Xinghua 100kt/a syngas to ethanol process demo project succeeded in initial start-up, which was jointly developed by Yanchang Petroleum and Dalian Institute of Chemical Physics. Currently, Yanchang is advancing the 500kt/a syngas to ethanol project and the coal-based E10 ethanol gasoline performance research project.
What are the technology and application prospects? Coal (syngas) to ethanol can become a national policy as a new demonstration of modern coal chemical? Can coal (syngas) to ethanol be supported fuel ethanol industry planning? How to improve the competitiveness of different raw materials and technical routes (coal, syngas, coke oven gas, biomass, cellulose), and the economics of the project? National policy to promote fuel ethanol in China by 2020, how domestic syngas ethanol technology gets on industrialized express?
1. China's non-grain ethanol policy and market trends
2. The United States, Brazil fuel ethanol market andimplicationto China
3. Cooperation and competition between coal-to-ethanol and bio-to–ethanol
4. Technologiesupdates of ethanol from coal, syngas, coke oven gas, biomass&cellulose
5. Economic analysis of Coal (Syngas) to ethanol projects
6. New ethanol project planning and investment
7. Feasibility of modification of ethanol plant from methanol & ammonia plants
8. Fuel ethanol & industrial ethanol sales and logistics
9. "theBelt andRoad” national strategy ðanol export market outlook
10. Effect of ethanol gasoline on MTBE industry
11. Environmental issues of coal (syngas) to ethanol production
Coal/Syngas to Ethanol Conference 2018 will be held inLuoyang, He’nan on July 19-20, the upcoming conference to discuss China's non-grain ethanol policy and market trends;technical progress and commercial application of coal (syngas) to ethanol; different raw materials route ethanol competitiveness comparison; Cooperation and competition between coal-to-ethanol and bio-to–ethanol, and coal (syngas) to ethanol environmental issues.