In 2019, international geopolitics turmoil, tension trade relations between China and the US aggravated the risk of oil price fluctuations. China's coal price has stabilized and declined with the high quality capacity release, which lead to the further expansion of coal to olefins (CTO) cost advantage. Profit of methanol to olefin (MTO) has improved due to low and medium methanol prices.
ASIACHEM studies shows that, in H1 2019, among 22 commercialized CTO/MTO projects, except for several long-term parking projects, most of which operated full or even overloaded, with an average load of 100%. It is estimated that, the average operating profit of polyolefin was 690CNY/t. In the past few months, two MTO projects have been put into production. There are still 40 CTO/MTO projects underway, with a total olefin capacity of 22.36Mt. Before the end of 2020, there are 9 projects with more than 4Mt of capacity in total will be released.
New technologies are in the ascendant and the pace of industrialization is accelerating. Compared with traditional CTO, syngas direct to olefins (FTO) omits the intermediate process of methanol synthesis, which has the advantages of shorter process and lower energy consumption. FTO technologies of the Dalian Institute of Chemical Physics (DICP), CAS, Shanghai Advanced Research Institute, CAS, Beijing Institute of Petrochemical Technology, etc. have completed laboratory research, respectively. The Lu'an Group, Yanchang ChinaCoal, and ChinaCoal Yulin will implement pilot projects. In addition, the syngas-based ethanol to ethylene (DMTE) technology of DICP has also shown unique competitiveness compared with DMTO.
Technologiies enhance industrial upgrading. Compared with the overseas ethane cracking and China's refining & chemical integration, what are the future competitive potentials of China's coal/syngas to olefins? How to choose and develop for new projects? How to optimize operations and improve competitiveness? What are the directions for technological innovation and downstream high-value products development?
China Coal/Syngas to Olefins Conference 2019 will be organized by ASIACHEM on Oct. 30-31 in Taiyuan, Shanxi. The upcoming event will discuss China's olefin industry policy and industrial chain prospects; CTO/FTO/DMTE projects planning; FTO & DMTE technologies development & industrialization; Different routes competitiveness comparison; Process and catalyst technologies upgrading; high-end products, Air separation, coal gasification, syngas purification latest technologies; By-products high-value utilization and environmental issues. An industrial visit to Lu’an coal-based syngas to chemicals plant will be arranged.
1. China's olefin industry policy and industrial chain prospects
2. CTO/FTO/DMTE: olefin capacity expansion trend 2019-2024
3. Focus on CTO/FTO/DMTE projects under the new oil price background
4. FTO technical development, industrialization and prospects
5. Syngas-based ethanol to ethylene (DMTE) technologies and economics
6. Competitiveness comparison: CTO/FTO/MTO/DMTE, PDH, ethane cracking, refining & chemical integration
7. Operation optimization and smart plant
8. High-end downstream planning and C4-C6 by-products high value utilization
9. Polyolefin process and catalysts
10. Air separation, coal gasification and syngas purification latest technology
11. Project environmental assessment & solutions
12. Industrial visits to Lu’an Syngas to chemicals plant