Linear alpha-olefins (LAO) generally refer to higher carbon linear olefins of C4 and above, including butene-1, hexene-1, octene-1, decene-1, dodecene-1, etc. It is mainly produced by, mixed C4 separation, ethylene selective polymerization process, ethylene oligomerization process, Fischer-Tropsch synthesis method, etc. LAO can be used as comonomer for the production of high performance polyethylene (LLDPE, HDPE) and polyolefin elastomer (POE), also important intermediate for high-end lubricant base oil (PAO), plasticizers, and surfactants production.
As of the end of 2018, the global capacity of LAO (exclude butene-1 separated from C4) was 4.7Mt/a. The top four LAO producers are Shell, Chevron Phillips, Sasol and INEOS, which together account for 78% of global capacity, while China's LAO capacity accounts for less than 2%. Stimulated by excellent economic benefits and market demand, petrochemical giants, including SHELL, INEOS, etc. have increased their investment in LAO & PAO industry. As the world's largest PAO producer, ExxonMobil announced will produce LAO. China's petrochemical and coal chemical companies are also actively deploying LAO & PAO industry.
With the support of the policy, China's LAO industry will enter a stage of rapid development. The “Industrial Structure Adjustment Guidance Catalogue (2019, Draft)" listed the development and production of specialty polyolefins (POE, mPE), and high-carbon alpha olefins as encouragement. The "Encourage Foreign Investment Industrial Catalogue (2019)", which implemented on July 30, listed the development and production of high-carbon alpha olefins copolymer high-end polyolefins as an encouragement. In the future, China's new urbanization and consumption upgrade will drive the demand for petrochemical products to continue growing, especially for high-end products.
3rd LAO & PAO Market & Tech Forum 2019 will be held on Oct. 29-30 in Shanxi, China. The conference will discuss the LAO & PAO market opportunities; LAO components separation technology progress and solutions; LAO production technology development and industrialization; PAO key technology development and industrialization; LAO & PAO projects management status and future layout; Polyolefin high-end development and LAO market opportunities; LAO to produce high-carbon alcohol technology development and product market prospects. The conference will also arrange visit to Lu'an Group ---- world’s first coal-based LAO to mPAO project.
1. Global LAO market Status and trends
2. F-T synthesis of LAO technology and product utilization
3. Ethylene polymerization to LAO technology progress and industrialization
4. LAO components separation technology difficulties and solutions
5. Automotive & industrial development and PAO market opportunities
6. Metallocene polyalphaolefin (mPAO) technology progress and industrialization
7. Polyolefin high-end development and LAO market opportunities
8. Polyolefin elastomer (POE) technology development and market prospects
9. LAO synthesis of high carbon alcohol technology progress and market analysis
10. Innovative LAO production technology and refined application prospects
11. LAO & PAO project management status and industrial layout
12. Industrial visits