In 2018, China's MEG consumption continued to grow, net import was about 10Mt, and the output exceeded 7.2Mt, of which 1/3 output was from coal (syngas) to MEG. In December 2018, MEG futures were listed on the Dalian Commodity Exchange. ASIACHEM’s research shows that, coal-based MEG has been widely used in the PET industry and has become an important component of China's MEG production. In early 2019, China's 22 CTMEG projects have been put into production, with a total capacity of 4.48Mt.
China’s CTMEG plants have generally achieved high load and stable operation. Driven by good market prospects, available proven technologies and modest investment thresholds, the investment in China's CTMEG project is accelerating. ASIACHEM’s research shows that, in the three years from 2019 to 2021, China will build 33 new CTMEG projects with a total capacity of 9.47Mt. The total CTMEG capacity will increase to 13.95Mt.
Despite the rapid development of China's CTMEG industry, it faces a series of challenges. With the international oil price down, the syngas via DMO route CTMEG faces strong competitors in other technical routes, including naphtha cracking ethylene to MEG route, MTO ethylene to MEG route, and ethane cracking ethylene to MEG route. At this background, how to continuously improve the competitiveness and profitability of CTMEG plant is the key to the industry development.
The technology development of DMO route is developing toward large-scale, low-cost, high-selectivity, long catalyst life and environmental friendliness. In addition, the development and application of high-value downstream products of DMO route such as degradable plastic polyglycolic acid (PGA), ethanol, and diphenyl carbonate (DPC) are also actively promoted. At the same time, the new methanol-formaldehyde route of CTMEG technology is beginning to be industrialized. In September 2018, Johnson Matthey and Eastman licensed the technology to Jiutai Group for 1 Mt/a coal to MEG unit.
10th Coal to MEG Conference will be held on April 25-26, 2019 in Kunming, Yunnan, China. The conference will focus on prospect of MEG supply and demand & prediction of coal-based MEG capacity, optimization and process upgrade of DMO route CTMEG technology, CTMEG application experience in PET industry, advantages of new methanol-formaldehyde route CTMEG technology, industry influence of MEG futures market, high-value downstream products of DMO, methanol one-step to MEG & CO2 to MEG technology R&D and industrial application, etc.
1. Global and China’s PET/MEG supply & demand outlook
2. CTMEG new projects investment and capacity forecast
3. Technical optimization & innovation of oxalate route CTMEG
4. Industry influence of MEG futures market
5. Research and application of large-scale CTMEG reactor
6. CTMEG catalyst upgrades and catalyst recycling
7. Advantages of new methanol-formaldehyde route CTMEG technology
8. CTMEG product purification and separation process
9. Comprehensive approaches to improve the profitability of CTMEG plants
10. Coal based MEG application experience in PET industry
11. DMO high value downstream products - PGA/Ethanol/DPC
12. Environment protection & water treatment of CTMEG plants
13. CO and H2 separation & purification solutions
14. Research on methanol one-step to MEG technology
15. CO2 to MEG technology R&D and industrial application